The chapel of Dietach and its mural painting
. Beneath the former hospital of Dietach in Upper Austria there is a small chapel situated, which was supposedly built by the famous Baroque architect Johann Michael Prunner. He was the architect of Graf Franz Josef von Lamberg (Steyr), who founded the hospital of Dietach in 1687. In 1997 the chapel had to be removed because the street in front of it had to be enlarged. To save the chapel from destroying, it was moved seven metres backwards from the street in a remarkable operation, which was financed by the owner, the Bundesdenkmalamt and the government of Upper Austria. The restoration of the chapel put forth a significant mural painting with an illustration of the deposition of the cross, painted by Johann Georg Morzer in 1752. He is the painter of the crucifixion in the Cellar of the Coelestine-Abbey in Steyr. Today the chapel is a popular tourist attraction, primaryly because of the fantastic, restored mural painting inside.
, Volker 1986: Johann Georg Morzer — ein Steyrer Barockmaler,
Amtsblatt der Stadt Steyr
, 29/5, S. 14–15. Steyr.
Lutz V., 'Johann Georg Morzer — ein Steyrer Barockmaler' (1986) 29Amtsblatt der Stadt Steyr: 14-15.
Lutz V.Johann Georg Morzer — ein Steyrer BarockmalerAmtsblatt der Stadt Steyr1986291415)| false