Expanded graphite (EG)/paraffin/organic montmorillonite (OMMT) composite phase change material (PCM) was prepared by using melt intercalation method. The microstructure of EG/paraffin/OMMT is observed by scanning electron microscope (SEM). The thermal properties are investigated by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The mass loss of EG/paraffin/OMMT after 50 heating cycles was measured for investigating the influence of EG and OMMT on the thermal properties of paraffin. The results show that EG and OMMT have the ability of adsorption and shape-stability. The melting point EG/paraffin/OMMT is decreased slightly with an addition of paraffin and the latent heat of EG/paraffin/OMMT is determined by the mass ratio of paraffin. The heat transfer efficiency of EG/paraffin/OMMT is strengthened and the heating time is decreased to one-sixth of that of paraffin by addition of EG and OMMT. The thermal stability of EG/paraffin/OMMT is improved by addition of OMMT.
1. Abhat, A. Low temperature latent thermal energy storage system: heat storage materials. Sol Energy. 1983;30:313–332. .
2. Murat, K, Khamid, M. Solar energy storage using phase change materials. Renew Sustain Energy Rev. 2007;11:1913–1965. .
3. Farid, MM, Khudhair, AM, et al. A review on phase change energy storage: materials and applications. Energy Convers Manage. 2004;45:1597–1615. .
4. Zeng, JL, Liu, YY, et al. Thermal conductivity enhancement of MWNTs on the PANI/tetradecanol form-stable PCM. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2008;91:443–446. .
5. Fukushima, H, Drzal, LT, et al. Thermal conductivity of exfoliated graphite nanocomposites. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2006;85:235–238. .
6. Sarı, A, Karaipekli, A. Thermal conductivity and latent heat thermal energy storage characteristics of paraffin/expanded graphite composite as phase change materials. Appl Therm Eng. 2007;27:1271–1277. .
7. Karaipekli, A, Sarı, A, Kaygusuz, K. Thermal conductivity improvement of stearic cid using expanded graphite and carbon fiber for energy storage applications. Renew Energy. 2007;32:2201–2210. .
8. Leite AMD , Maia LF, et al. Thermal properties from membrane of polyamide 6/montmorillonite clay nanocomposites obtained by immersion precipitation method. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2009;97:577–80.
9. Costache, MC, Wang, D, Heidecker, MJ, Manias, E, Wilkie, CA. The thermal degradation of poly (methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites with montmorillonite, layered double hydroxides and carbon nanotubes. Polym Adv Technol. 2006;17:272–280. .
10. Li, Z, Jing, B, Yu, SM. Preparation, structure and properties of CA-SA/montmorillonite composite phase change energy storage materials. New Chem Mater. 2007;35:42–44.
11. Aktzi, N, Nir, Y, Wanq, D, et al. EVOH/clay nancomposites produced by melt processing. Polym Compos. 2001;22:710–720. .
12. Bourbigot, S, Le Bras, M, Dabrowski, F, et al. PA-6/clay nanocomposite hybrid as char forming agent in intumescent formulations. Fire Mater. 2000;24:201–208. .
13. Huang, J, Zhu, DS, Wang, XJ. Heat storage density and thermal conductivity of composite phase-change energy storage materials. J Wuhan Univ Technol. 2009;31:34–38.
|Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry|
|H-1117 Budapest, Hungary 1516 Budapest, PO Box 245.|
Springer Nature Switzerland AG
|H-1117 Budapest, Hungary 1516 Budapest, PO Box 245.
CH-6330 Cham, Switzerland Gewerbestrasse 11.
|Chief Executive Officer, Akadémiai Kiadó|
|Abstract Views||Full Text Views||PDF Downloads|