The kinetics of the reversible dimerization reaction of cyclohexanone in the presence of γ-alumina catalyst was investigated over the temperature range of 383.15–403.15 K at atmospheric pressure. The mechanism of the dimerization reaction of cyclohexanone catalyzed by γ-alumina is proposed. The Langmuir–Hinshelwood (LH) adsorption mechanism was used to study the reaction and a kinetic model was set up. The rate determining step of the reaction was found to be the reaction between two activated cyclohexanone molecules on the surface of the catalyst. Kinetic parameters such as activation energy and preexponential factor were calculated. The conversions calculated by model agreed with the experimental ones.
1. ImamuraJ (1978) US Patent 4,080,390.
2. LeeGJ, GarcesJM, HuculDA, YoungTL, BurdettKA (1996) US Patent 5,583,268.
3. OlovetteNF, GrossDE (1977) US Patent 4,035,428.
4. Du Pont de NemoursEI (1934) GB Patent 406,319.
5. Kelly, KK, Matthews, JS1969J Chem Eng Data142276.