Liquid phase hydroxylation of benzene to phenol using Cu/ZnO catalysts prepared by the polyol process was investigated in aqueous acetic acid (20/80, v/v). Gaseous oxygen and ascorbic acid were utilized as the oxidant and reducing agent, respectively. The results showed that there is an optimum copper content over zinc oxide support. Phenol was the sole product of the oxidation reaction. No other product in the liquid phase was detected by gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy. Cu/ZnO catalysts prepared by the polyol process were found to be highly effective catalysts for direct phenol synthesis in the liquid phase. A major disadvantage of this system was that Cu/ZnO catalysts suffered from dissolution in the reaction medium. Cu/ZnO catalysts prepared by the polyol reduction showed comparatively higher activities.
1. Ehrich, H, Berndt, H, Pohl, M-M, Jähnisch, K, Baerns, M 2002 Appl Catal A 230:271–280 .
2. Zhang J , Tang Y, Li G, Hu C (2005) Appl Catal A 278 (2): 251–261.
3. Shibata, Y, Hamada, R, Ueda, T, Ichihashi, Y, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S 2005 Ind Eng Chem Res 44 23 8765–8772 .
4. Kitamura, T, Kanzaki, H, Hamada, R, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S 2004 Can J Chem 82:1597–1605 .
5. Liu, Y, Murata, K, Inaba, M 2005 Catal Commun 6:679–683 .
6. Masumoto, Y-K, Hamada, R, Yokota, K, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S 2002 J Mol Catal A 184:215–222 .
7. Miyahara, T, Kanzaki, H, Hamada, R, Kuroiwa, S, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruy, S 2001 J Mol Catal A 176:141–150 .
8. Kanzaki, H, Kitamura, T, Hamada, R, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S 2004 J Mol Catal A 208:203–211 .
9. Takata, K, Yamaguchi, S-T, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S 2005 J Mol Catal A 225:125–130 .
10. Parida, M, Rath, D 2007 Appl Catal A 321:101–108 .
11. Chou, B, Tsai, J-L, Cheng, S 2001 Micro Meso Mater 48:309–317 .
12. Okamura, J, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S, Masai, M 1998 J Mol Catal A 135:133–142 .
13. Ohtani, T, Nishiyama, S, Tsuruya, S, Masai, M 1995 J Catal 155:158–162 .
14. Wu, S 2007 Mater Lett 61:1125–1129 .
|Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis|
|H-1117 Budapest, Hungary 1516 Budapest, PO Box 245.|
Springer Nature Switzerland AG
|H-1117 Budapest, Hungary 1516 Budapest, PO Box 245.
CH-6330 Cham, Switzerland Gewerbestrasse 11.
|Chief Executive Officer, Akadémiai Kiadó|
|Abstract Views||Full Text Views||PDF Downloads|