Author: Mária Prokopp
View More View Less
Restricted access

Mural paintings of the International Gothic style in the parish church of Torna (today: Turňa nad Bodvou, Slovakia). The study gives as an introduction a short survey of the medieval history of the Hungarian Kingdom. It introduces the mural paintings of the sanctuary of the village church of Torna, which came to light between 2007 and 2014. The author emphasizes their high artistic level and presents their artistic context in Hungary. The patron of the village and the church after 1409 was Paulus Özdögei Besenyő. He was an outstanding person of the Hungarian royal court and a member of the Order of the Dragon of King Sigismund of Luxembourg. He was the donor of the painted decoration of the church of Torna. The author dates the frescoes between the years of 1410–1414.