Two copies of the Missale Strigoniense printed on parchment in Venice in 1498, in the printing office of Emericus de Spira upon the order of the Buda book publisher Johannes Paep survive. Both were adorned with illuminations added to the books in Hungary. The copy of the archbishop of Kalocsa Péter Váradi (1480–1501) is modestly decorated. By contrast, Ferenc Perényi, the bishop of Várad (1514–1526) had his copy sumptuously illumined: nineteen pages have ornate borders all around, five have two or three sides decorated, four have less elaborate tendril ornaments. The woodcut canon picture was naturally painted over and the coat of arms of the possessor was put in front filling a whole page. The Missal was held in high esteem later as well: among its subsequent owners Miklós Oláh, archbishop of Esztergom had an additional ornamental page added, the János Ivánczy, grand provost of Győr had three (the latter also had a finely decorated inscription of the consecutive owners of the volume created, from Miklós Oláh through archbishops of Kalocsa Demeter Náprágyi and Márton Hetési Pethe to himself.) The illuminations painted for Ferenc Perényi represent all registers of renaissance book illumination in Buda in the Jagiellon Age: the reminiscences of the motifs and style of the master of Cassianus, the formal idiom of the creator of the Bakócz initials, the painted ornaments of early 16th century deeds of nobility and the naturalist flower decorations of Flemish miniature painting. The richly embellished incunable has been latent for about fifteen years now – for this reason we present all – so far mostly unpublished – illumined pages.