List of symbols
Concentration (mol dm−3)
Initial sample particle diameter (m)
Activation energy (kJ mol−1)
Surface reaction rate constant (s−1)
Sample mass at any time (g)
Initial mass (g)
Final mass (g)
Reaction order (–)
Universal gas constant (kJ mol−1 K−1)
Structural term (–)
Concentration of oxidizing agent (mole frac)
This study was performed in the frames of project: REduction MOdification & VALorisation of Sludge Contract nr: FP6-018525, European Union Research, Sixth framework Programme, Priority 18.104.22.168: Global change and ecosystems.
1. Fytili, D, Zabaniotou, A. Utilization of sewage sludge in EU application of old and new methods - A review. Renew Sustain Energy Rev 2008 12:116–140 .
3. Cetin, E, Moghtaderi, B, Gupta, R, Wall, TF. Influence of pyrolysis conditions on the structure and gasification reactivity of biomass chars. Fuel 2004 83:2139–2150 .
4. Di Blasi, C. Combustion and gasification rates of lignocellulosic chars. Progr Energy Comb Sci.. 2009;35:121–140 .
6. Kajitani, S, Suzuki, N, Ashizawa, M, Hara, S. CO2 gasification rate analysis of coal char in entrained flow coal gasifier. Fuel 2006 85:163–169 .
7. Fermoso, J, Arias, B, Pevida, C, Plaza, MG, Rubiera, F, Pis, JJ. Kinetic models comparison for steam gasification of different nature fuel chars. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2008 91:779–786 .
8. Strezov, V, Moghtaderi, B, Lucas, JA. Thermal study of decomposition of selected biomass samples. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2003 72:1041–1048 .
9. Cormos, CC, Starr, F, Tzimas, E, Peteves, S. Innovative concepts for hydrogen production processes based on coal gasification with CO2 capture. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2008 33:1286–1294.
10. Butterman, HC, Castaldi, MJ. Influence of CO2 injection on biomass gasification. Ind Eng Chem Res 2007 46:8875–8886 .
11. Dogru, M, Midilli, A, Howarth, CR. Gasification of sewage sludge using a throated downdraft gasifier and uncertainty analysis. Fuel Process Technol 2002 75:55–82 .
12. Reed, GP, Paterson, NP, Zhuo, Y, Dugwell, DR, Kandiyoti, R. Trace element distribution in sewage sludge gasification: source and temperature effects. Energy Fuels 2005 19:298–304 .
13. Manya, JJ, Sanchez, JL, Gonzalo, A, Arauzo, J. Air gasification of dried sewage sludge in a fluidized bed: effect of the operating conditions and in-bed use of alumina. Energy Fuels 2005 19:629–636 .
14. Petersen, I, Werther, J. Experimental investigation and modeling of gasification of sewage sludge in the circulating fluidized bed. Chem Eng Process. 2005 44:717–736 .
15. Petersen, I, Werther, J. Three-dimensional modeling of a circulating fluidized bed gasifier for sewage sludge. Chem Eng Sci. 2005 60:4469–4484 .
16. Pinto, F, Lopes, H, Andre, RN, Dias, M, Gulyurtlu, I, Cabrita, I. Effect of experimental conditions on gas quality and solids produced by sewage sludge cogasification. 1. Sewage sludge mixed with coal. Energy Fuels 2007 21:2137–2145 .
- Search Google Scholar
- Export Citation
Pinto, F , Lopes, H , Andre, RN , Dias, M , Gulyurtlu, I . Cabrita, I Effect of experimental conditions on gas quality and solids produced by sewage sludge cogasification. 1. Sewage sludge mixed with coal. Energy Fuels 2007 21: 2137– 2145 10.1021/ef0700836.
17. Aznar, M, Manyà, JJ, García, G. Influence of freeboard temperature, fluidization velocity, and particle size on tar production and composition during the air gasification of sewage sludge. Energy Fuels 2008 22:2840–2850 .
18. Groß, B, Eder, C, Grziwa, P. Energy recovery from sewage sludge by means of fluidized bed gasification. Waste Manag Res 2008 28:1819–1826 .
19. Santacesaria, E. Fundamental chemical kinetics: the first step to reaction modelling and reaction engineering. Catal Today. 1999;52:113–123 .
22. Ozbas, KE, Koek, MV, Hicyilmaz, C. Comparative kinetic analysis of raw and cleaned coals. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2002 69:541–549 .
23. Koek, MV. Temperature-controlled combustion and kinetics of different rank coal samples. J Therm Anal Calorim.. 2005;79:175–180 .
24. Henrich, E, Buerkle, S, Meza-Renken, ZI, Rumpel, S. Combustion and gasification kinetics of pyrolysis chars from waste and biomass. J Anal Appl Pyrolysis. 1999 49:221–241 .
25. Klose, W, Woelki, M. On the intrinsic rate of biomass char gasification with carbon dioxide and steam. Fuel. 2005 84:885–892 .
26. Scott, SA, Davidson, JF, Dennis, JS, Fennell, PS, Hayhurst, AN. The rate of gasification by CO2 of chars from waste. Proc Combust Inst. 2005 30:2151–2159 .
27. Inguanzo, M, Menendez, JA, Fuente, E, Pis, JJ. Reactivity of pyrolyzed sludge in air and CO2. J Anal Appl Pyrolysis. 2001 58–59:943–954 .
28. Bedyk, T, Nowicki, L, Stolarek, P, Ledakowicz, S. Effect of CaO and dolomite additive in the thermal decomposition of sewage sludge in an inert atmosphere. J Residuals Sci Technol. 2009 6 1 3–10.
29. Baker, RR. Kinetic parameters from the non-isothermal decomposition of a multi-component solid. Thermochim Acta.. 1978;23 2 201–212 .