List of symbols
Surface area of the barrier for heat transfer
Average surface area of cross section of barrier
Area of the combustion chamber
Current coefficient of change of moles number for air–fuel mixture
Dose of fuel in time unit
Specific heat for constant pressure
Change of diameter D* = D downsizing/D start value
|dx, dy, dz|
Changes of unit dimensions of studied parts
Temperature changes in the time interval dτ
Supplementary coefficient of the heat transfer
Length of the cylinder liner
Average distance of flame in combustion chamber
Length of connecting rod
Theoretical quantity of mole of air
Universal gas constant
Total number of moles of air–fuel mixture at the beginning of compression cycle
Pressure of gas
Temporary pressure inside combustion chamber
Fuel heating value
External radius of the cylinder liner
Inner radius of the cylinder liner
Thickness of layer of medium
Thickness of layer, called ‘i’ within the barrier
Change of piston stoke, S* = S downsizing/S start value
Temperature of air–fuel mixture
Temperature on surfaces of studied barrier
Temporary value of temperature inside combustion chamber
Volume of burning space
Convective heat transfer coefficient
Convective heat transfer coefficients for zones of 1 and 2 in relation to the barrier
Molar coefficient of the rest of exhaust gases
Coefficient of changes of mole number of fresh charge
Relative emissivity of the flame
Thermal conductivity of layer named ‘i’ within the barrier
Thermal conductivity of medium
Coefficient of heat utilisation in combustion chamber
Density of material
Value of crankshaft angle of turn of crankshaft in the working cycle of engine
Average speed of air–fuel mixture in combustion chamber
Downsizing factor DSF = D*/S*
Revolution per minute
Controlled homogeneous auto-ignition supercharged engine
Variable valve timing
Exhaust gas recirculation
|VS or VST|
Variable super- and turbocharging
Variable compression ratio
Gasoline direct injection
2. Kuhlbach, K, Mehring, J, Bormann, D, Friedfeld, R 2009 Zylinderkopf mit integriertem Abgaskrummer fur Downsizing-Konzept. Mag MTZ 69:286–293.
7. Andrade, RDA, Faria, EA, Silva, AM, Araujo, WC, Jaime, GC 2011 Heat of combustion of biofuels mixed with fossil diesel oil. J Therm Anal Calorim 106:469–474 .
8. Robertis, E, Moreira, GF, Silva, RA, Achete, CA 2011 Thermal behavior study of biodiesel standard reference materials. J Therm Anal Calorim 106:347–354 .
9. Flierl, R, Schmitt, S, Kleiner, G, Esch, HJ, Dismon, H 2011 Univalve—a fully variable mechanical valve lift system for future internal combustion engines. Mag ATZ 04:34–39.
14. Grajnert J , Kwasniowski S, Sroka ZJ. Identification of heat transfer dynamic model for diesel engines. Proceedings of Motauto, vol 1. Sofia; 2000.
15. Guzzella, L, Onder, ChH 2010 Introduction to modeling and control of internal combustion engine systems 2 Springer New York .
16. Oppenheim, AK, Kuhl, AL, Packard, AK, Hedrick, JK, Johnson, WP 1996 Model and control of heat release in engines. Am J Engine Combust Flow Diagn SAE Pap 1157:15–23.