In chronic liver rejection lymphocyte mediated processes lead to chronic inflammation, necrosis and repair mechanisms. The aim of the present study was to investigate the expression of apoptosis related proteins (FAS/APO-1, FAS-L, Bcl-2, Bax, TNF-α, and INF-γ). ApopTag reaction and immunohistochemistry were performed on liver samples of chronically rejected allografts and compared with normal donor livers. In chronic rejection, apoptosis was detected in pericentral hepatocytes and in the biliary epithelium. Bcl-2 was strongly expressed on lymphocytes around the bile ducts, but not on the biliary epithelium itself. Bax, FAS, TNF-α and INF-γ were present in pericentral areas. T-cells showed up around bile ducts, whereas macrophages around pericentral areas. In pericentral areas apoptosis seems to be fostered through TNF-α and INF-γ and by the lack of Bcl-2. Based on these results both downregulation and upregulation of apoptotic proteins can be observed in chronic liver allograft rejection: FAS is upregulated in biliary epithelium and zone 2, protein levels of FASL remain unchanged, BAX is upregulated in zone 3, BCL2 is downregulated in both biliary epithelium and zone 1 and both TNFa and IFN are upregulated in zone 3. Our results suggest that the balance between pro- and antiapoptotic patterns was shifted to the proapoptotic side, mainly in the centrilobular area of the hepatic lobule, and in the bile ducts. According to these findings in chronic rejection the predictive sites of apoptosis are the biliary epithelium and the pericentral areas.
1. J.F. Kerr A.H. Wyillie A.R. Currie 1972 Apoptosis: A basic biological phenomenon with wide-ranging implications in tissue kinetics Br J Cancer 26 239 257.
2. W.K. Syn S.S. Choi A.M. Diehl 2009 Apoptosis and cytokines in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis Clin Liver Dis 13 565 580.
3. Y. Nakanuma K. Harada Y. Sato H. Ikeda 2010 Recent progress in ethiopathogenesis of pediatric biliary disease, particularly Caroli's disease with congenital hepatic fibrosis and biliary atresia Histol Histopathol 25 223 235.
4. Y. Nakanuma K. Tsuneyama K. Harada 2001 Pathology and pathogenesis of the intrahepatic bile duct loss J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 8 303 315.
5. A. Tannapfel K. Kohlhaw J. Ebelt et al.1999 Apoptosis and the expression of Fas and Fas-ligand (FasL) antigen in rejection and reinfection in liver allograft specimens Transplantation 67 1079 1083.
6. J. Wang W. Li J. Min Q. Ou et al.2004 Intrasplenic transplantation of allogeneic hepatocytes modified by BCL-2 gene protects rats from acute liver failure Transplant Proc 36 2924 2926.
7. S.C. Afford J. Ahmed-Choudhury S. Randhawa et al.2001 CD-40 activation-induced Fas-dependent apoptosis and NF-kappaB/AP-1 signaling in human intrahepatic biliary epithelial cells FASEB 15 2345 2354.
8. S.C. Afford S. Randhava A.G. Eliopulos S.G. Hubscher L.S. Young D.H. Adams 1999 CD40 activation induces apoptosis in cultured human hepatocytes via induction of cell surface Fas ligand expression and amplifies Fas-mediated hepatocyte death during allograft rejection J Exp Med 189 441 446.
9. J. Bai J.A. Odin 2003 Apoptosis and the liver: relation to autoimmunity and related conditions Autoimmunity Review 2 36 42.
10. G.K. Koukoulis J. Shen S. Karademir D. Jensen J. Williams 2001 Cholangiocytic apoptosis in chronic ductopenic rejection Human Pathology 32 823 827.
11. H. Malhi G.J. Gores J.J. Lemasters 2006 Apoptosis and necrosis in the liver: A tale of two deaths? Hepatology 43 2Suppl1 s31 s44.
12. M.C. Warle A. Farhan H. Metselaar et al.2002 Cytokine gene polymorphism and acute human liver graft rejection Liver Transpl 8 603 611.
13. S.M. Krams H. Egawa M.B. Quinn Villanueva R. Garcia-Kennedy O.M. Martinez 1995 Apoptosis as a mechanism of cell death in liver allograft rejection Transplantation 59 621 625.
14. B. Gollacker R. Sedivy S. Rockenschaub et al.2000 Increased apoptosis of hepatocytes in vascular occlusion after orthotopic liver transplantation Transplant Int. 13 49 53.
15. G. Demirci B. Nashan R. Pichlmayr 1996 Fibrosis in chronic rejection of human liver allografts Transplantation 62 1776 1783.
16. J. Kemnitz G. Gubernatis H. Bunzendahl B. Ringe R. Pichlmayr A. Georgii 1989 Criteria for the histopathological classification of liver allograft rejection and their clinical relevance Transplant Proc 21 2208 2210.
17. B. Van Hoek R.H. Wiesner R.A.F. Krom J. Ludwig S.B. Moore 1992 Severe ductopenic rejection after liver transplantation: incidence, time of onset, risk factors, treatment and outcome Semin Liver Dis 12 41 50.
18. J. Ludwig 1989 Classification and terminology of hepatic allograft rejection: Whiter bound? Mayo Clin Proc 64 676 679.
19. J. Ludwig R.H. Wiesner K.P. Battas J.D. Perkins R.A. Krom 1987 The acute vanishing bile duct syndrome (acute irreversible rejection) after orthotopic liver transplantation Hepatology 7 476 483.
20. G. Lotz S. Simon A. Patonai et al.2004 Detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in liver transplant patients with chronic allograft rejection Transplantation 77 1522 1528.
21. G. Demirci K. Hoshino B. Nashan 1999 Expression patterns of integrin receptors and extracellular matrix proteins in chronic rejection of human liver allograft Transplant Immunology 7 229 237.
22. M. Sebagh K. Blakolmer B. Falissard et al.2002 Accuracy of bile duct changes for the diagnosis of chronic liver allograft rejection: Reliability of the 1999 Banff schema Hepatology 35 117 125.
23. D.A. Neil S.G. Hubscher 2002 Histologic and biochemical changes during the evolution of chronic rejection of liver allografts Hepatology 35 639 651.
24. L. Backman J. Gibbs M. Levy et al.1993 Causes of late graft loss after liver transplantation Transplantation 55 1078 1082.
25. P.C. Evans S. Smith G. Hirschfield et al.2001 Recipient HLA-DR3, tumour necrosis factor-alpha promoter allele-2 (tumour necrosis factor-2) and cytomegalovirus infection are inter-related risk factors for chronic rejection of liver allograft J Hepatol 34 711 715.
26. M. Desai J. Neuberger 2009 Chronic liver allograft dysfunction Transplant Proc 41 773 776.
27. D.A. Neil S.G. Hubscher 2002 Histologic and biochemical changes during the evolution of chronic rejection of liver allografts Hepatology 35 639 651.
28. T. Miloh M.S. Magid K. Iyer et al.2009 Chronic rejection preceded by central perivenulitis, rapidly ensuring after liver transplantation in a pediatric patient Semin Liver Dis 29 134 138.
29. J.Y. Scoazec 1995 Expression of cell-matrix adhesion molecules in the liver and their modulation during fibrosis J Hepatol 22 2Suppl 20 27.
30. S. Oguma S. Belle T.E. Starzl A.J. Demetris 1989 A histometric analysis of chronically rejected human liver allografts: insights into the mechanisms of bile duct loss: direct immunologic and ischemic factors Hepatology 9 204 209.
31. D. Jain M.E. Robert V. Navarro A.L. Friedman J.M. Crawford 2004 Total fibrous obliteration of main portal vein and portal foam cell venopathy in chronic hepatic allograft rejection Arch Pathol Lab Med 128 64 67.
32. M. Davidson C.C. Kuo J.P. Middaugh et al.1998 Confirmed previous infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae (TWAR) and its presence in early coronary atherosclerosis Circulation 98 628 633.
33. S. Gupta A.J. Camm 1998 Chlamydia pneumoniae, antimicrobial therapy and coronary heart disease: a critical overview Coron Artery Dis 9 339 343.
34. E. Blessing C.C. Kuo T.M. Lin et al.2002 Foam cell formation inhibits growth of Chlamydia pneumoniae but does not attenuate Chlamydia pneumoniae-induced secretion of proinflammatory cytokines Circulation 105 1976 1982.
35. A. Celli F.G. Que 1998 Dysregulation of apoptosis in the cholangiopathies and cholangiocarcinoma Semin Liver Dis 18 177 185.
36. K. Harada S. Furubo S. Ozaki et al.2001 Increased expression of WAF1 in intrahepatic bile ducts in primary biliary cirrhosis relates to apoptosis J Hepatol 34 500 506.
37. M. Hayashi O.M. Martinez R. Garcia-Kennedy S. So C.O. Esquivel S.M. Krams 1995 Expression of cytokines and immune mediators during chronic liver allograft rejection Transplantation 60 1533 1538.
38. K. Harada Y. Nakanuma 2003 Intrahepatic bile duct loss in immune-mediated ductopenic biliary diseases with an emphasis on biliary epithelial apoptosis Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 49 41 51.
39. C. Gapany M. Zhao A. Zimmermann 1997 The apoptosis protector, Bcl-2 protein is downregulated in bile duct epithelial cells of human liver allografts J Hepatol 26 535 542.
40. T. Patel G.J. Tores 1995 Apoptosis and hepatobiliary disease Hepatology 18 105 114.
41. J. van der Leij A. van den Berg E.W.J.A. Albrecht et al.2003 High expression of TIAF-1 in chronic kidney and liver allograft rejection and in activated T-helper cells Transplantation 75 2076 2082.
42. A.S. Gouw M.C. van den Heuvel A.P. van den Berg et al.2002 The significance of parenchymal changes of acute cellular rejection in predicting chronic liver graft rejection Transplantation 73 243 247.
43. U. Töx M.A. Burkhardt C. Benz et al.2001 Expression of apoptosis and apoptosis-related peptides in various stages of rejection in the human transplanted liver Hepatogastroenterology 48 1697 1700.
44. M.C. van den Heuvel K.P. de Jong M. Boot et al.2006 Preservation of bile ductules mitigates bile duct loss Am J Transplant 6 2660 2671.
45. Z. Chunbin M. Jihong W. Xue et al.2007 Lack of Fas antagonism by Met in human fatty liver disease Nature Medicine 13 1078 1085.
|Medicine (miscellaneous) Q3|
Cite Score Rank
|General Medicine 199/529 (Q2)|
|Interventional Medicine and Applied Science|
|H-1117 Budapest, Hungary 1516 Budapest, PO Box 245.|
|H-1117 Budapest, Hungary 1516 Budapest, PO Box 245.|
|Chief Executive Officer, Akadémiai Kiadó|
|Abstract Views||Full Text Views||PDF Downloads|